Trade Name Certificates
Any person conducting business in the Town of Stratford under an assumed name shall file a Trade Name Certificate with the Town Clerk.
All parties involved with such business must sign the Trade Name Certificate.
Trade Name Certificates may be recorded in person in the Town Clerk’s office or by mail, having been previously notarized.
The trade name filing requirement does not apply to:
Download Trade Name Certificate Form here
- Partnerships, if the partnership name contains the true last name of a least one of the persons said partnership
- Limited partnerships which have registered with the Secretary of the State
- Limited liability companies which have registered with the Secretary of the State
Trade Name Terminations
Recorded Trade Names are permanent records. Trade Name Termination forms must be filled out and recorded when the business ceases to operate. All parties that filled out the original Trade Name Certificate must sign the Trade Name Termination.
Trade Name Terminations may be recorded in person in the Town Clerk’s office or by mail.
Download Trade Name Termination Form here
Trade Name Amendments
If changes to the original Trade Name Certificate have been made, then a Trade Name Amendment form must be recorded in the Town Clerk’s office in person or by mail.
Download Trade Name Amendment Form here
- Trade Name Certificate needing Notarization $10.00
- Trade Name Certificate Previously Notarized $7.00
- Trade Name Termination $5.00
- Trade Name Amendment $5.00
- Certified Copies $2.00
- To obtain a Federal Tax Identification Number 800-829-1040
- To obtain a Connecticut Tax Identification Number 800-382-9463
- Corporations or LLC’s call the Secretary of the State’s Office 800-540-3764
- Contractors register with CT Dept. of Consumer Protection 800 842-2649
- For additional information call the CT Licensing Info Center 800-392-2122